May 27, 2020
by Denise Krebs
May 27, 2020
May 15, 2020
by Denise Krebs
Hello, boys and girls and guests,
Here are some of our genius hour presentations. If you would like your Flipgrid video linked here so you can share it with others, just let Mrs. Denise know and she will add it.
- Ahmed A. – Pizza and other purposes dough
- Ali I. – Video editing helps
- Alya M. – Learning to draw faces
- Fatima S. – Learning New Cooking Recipes
- Fatima Z. – Making a flipbook
- Hawra’a – Ramadan sweets
- Hisham and the book he made about our galaxy
- Hussain N. – String art
- Hussain S. – photo corner and how to frame photos
- Jana – Grilling healthy chicken
- Jerome and his blog posts about cooking for his family
- Noor – Making organizers for craft supplies
- Zainab – Making natural colors and restyling clothes
- Mrs. Denise – Using spices and making sourdough
May 13, 2020
by Denise Krebs
Wow, Hisham made a children’s book about our galaxy for his Genius Hour project. You can pause between pages to read it all. Congratulations, Hisham!
Here are all the recipes I cooked this week
What was your genius hour project?
Today I made Gourmet Goulash
This is a picture of me stirring all the vegetables and the beef until it is cooked
You will have to cook the beef first and in the meanwhile cook the pasta then drain the pasta and add the cheese packets once drained. Then in the same frying pan cook up the vegetables and then mix the pasta and the vegetables together.
I will be making another post for all the recipes I cooked this week
See you next time,
Today I made Rice & Bean Casserole and My mom’s rocket salad
It was very yummy and had lots of cheese: feta cheese, cottage cheese, and cheddar cheese. I think the Rice & Bean Casserole could be better with raisins, but we didn’t have the right type of raisins to go with it.
See you later,
March 31, 2020
If you want to watch the invention in action, click on the link Yousif’s Invention
March 30, 2020
by S. Ahmed
March 25, 2020
by Denise Krebs
- What are some fun facts about you? Here are 43 fun and not-so-fun facts about me. It might be more than you want to know, so please feel free to skim and scan!
- When will you stop teaching at Al Raja School? I’m not sure, but sadly I won’t be here too many more years. We are getting near retirement age, so my husband and I will go back to the U.S. sometime in the next couple of years.
- Do you want to go back to your country? Eventually I will want to go back to my country, but for now I am so happy to be able to be used here to teach my students.
- If you didn’t choose being an English teacher what would you be? Oh, the world is open. I may have become a software engineer or a cartographer, an artist or journalist, an author or an athlete. I think I would love any of those other careers.
- When were you born? I was born in 1958.
- What is your favorite number? 5
- What is your favorite animal? A puffin
- What is your favorite country? My own country and Bahrain
- What are your favorite places to travel? I love to go any place where I can visit friends and family.
- What country would you like to travel to? India because I have met a lot of friends from there and I would like to visit their home.
- What is your favorite food? Usually I say pizza, but really I like so many foods. If I chose a category it would be FRUIT.
- What is your favorite fruit? This is really difficult to choose just one favorite. I have never tasted a fruit I didn’t like. Some of my favorites are strawberries and mangoes.
- What is your favorite junk food? Potato chips and candy.
- What is your favorite team? The L.A. Dodgers (I don’t know why, except they were my team when I was a girl. I guess I don’t really have a team any longer.)
- What is your dream? My dream is to see the world a healthier, better, safer, and kinder place by the time I have grandchildren.
- What is your favorite movie/film? I don’t have one. I usually just like to watch movies once. I enjoy them and wait for the next good one.
- Do you want us to come back to school? YES, absolutely!
- How are you spending your time on this vacation? Reading and writing a lot! Answering emails, reading assignments, marking, helping students understand how to do things. But I don’t do that all the time. I am also cooking more and reading books. I cleaned up our classroom, so it’s ready for you to come back when we can.
- What is your hobby? My hobbies are baking, cooking, and reading.
- Do you prefer online teaching or real teaching? Oh, definitely REAL teaching!
- What is your favorite sport game? Softball is my favorite game. I played and coached for most of my life.
- What is your birthday? 5 August
- When did you come to Bahrain? When did you start at ARS? I came at the end of 2013 and I started working at ARS in January 2014.
- Do you like drawing? Yes, I do like drawing. I’m not very educated in art, but I like to play around and make things look nice with colors, lines, and shapes.
- What were your hobbies as a child? Great question! I liked to read, ride my bike, play softball, play house with my friends, and do all kinds of activities and games. I was very active.
- Why did you become a teacher? I loved school when I was growing up, so when I was young I wanted to become a teacher. When I went to the university, though, I changed my mind and wanted to be a map maker. But one year I took a job as a KG teacher in summer school. I had so much fun I went back to school to become a teacher.
- Where did you study in the university? At California State University in Long Beach.
- What were your scores in English class? That’s one I can’t answer. I was a good student and I think my marks were pretty good too. In reality, when you get finished with school, grades don’t matter any longer. What matters is how you treat people and how well you apply what you’ve learned to solve problems and make the world a better place.
- What was the best gift you got from your parents when you were a kid? Great question. I think my most memorable gift was a purple Schwinn Stingray bike with a basket in front. I think I was 8 years old.
- What is your favorite music? I like songs from the time I was in school (1970s rock and roll). I also like worship songs and children’s fun songs.
- What are your siblings names? Rick, Lynne, Chris, Judi, Lori and Keith.
- Are your siblings grandparents? Yes, four of them are grandparents.
- When did your siblings graduate? Twins in 1961, 1965, 1967, 1973, 1979.
- What kind of stories do you read? All kinds. I especially like children’s and young adult literature. I like to read nonfiction about things I want to learn, too.
- What kind of stories do you write? I write blog posts, poems, personal experience narratives, and fiction.
- What do you do during free time? I like to write, read, cook dinners, bake cookies and breads, and learn new things.
- What were your favorite subjects in school? Geography and sports
- What is your favorite book? I love The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White.
- Where were you born? Where are you from? I was born and raised in California.
- Do you live in a big house or a small house? It’s a nice size flat, perfect for my husband and me. It gives me room for everything I need. I’ve included a picture of my home.
- Where is your house? Manama
- Are you a computer genius? Far from it. I love using technology to enhance our learning. I am pretty good at it, but I have questions and learn something new every day.
- How did you become smart in English? I am a native speaker. Can you imagine only speaking and learning one language? That is a crazy thought for you, you who know two or three or more languages. It is easier to get good in one language, but easy is not better! I wish I would have learned more languages.
- What is your favorite game? I love to play games that get people talking and laughing together. Apples to Apples is a fun group game. I also like to play card games like Nerts, but I am always willing to play any game that my friends and family want to play.
If you got this far and you didn’t see the question you asked, I apologize. Let me know, and I will add it right away!
March 25, 2020