Krebs' Class Blogs

Constructing, creating, communicating, collaborating, and thinking critically in grade 5.

Do You Like Our Repurposed Juice Bottles?

| 2 Comments

We saw this recycled bottle love seat made by Unbound scholars in Guatemala. We liked it, and we wanted to make our own, so kindergarteners began saving juice bottles from home.

After we saved about 40 bottles, we were ready to build a kindergarten-sized love seat.

getting started

We taped 20 bottles together for the seat.

arm rests

We rigged up armrests with more juice bottles.

There was some wild and crazy creating going on. It wasn’t easy helping 52 kindergarteners feel ownership in making our new furniture, but we did it. They are very proud of their work and look forward to getting a turn to sit on it.

White Cover

First, we just had a white sheet for a cover.

Almost ready

Here’s a peek under the cover.

That's better

We only had the white sheet for one day. Then someone brought this colorful cover.

Author: Denise Krebs

I'm the chief learner in life's adventure.

2 Comments

1. Hello.

My name is Jayen and I goto Epiphany Cathedral School. I think that this activity would be extremely fun. In my school we do plays and other activities, but we have never done anything like this. I think it would really hard to make those couches. Im really impressed with your kindergardeners. Hopefully I can ask my taecher if we can do something like that. Did you make any other couches? Visit my blog at jayenjgsblog.edublogs.org.

• Thanks, Jayen. Thanks so much for writing a comment on our blog. We liked it. I had to help a lot with the chair, of course, but you and your friends could probably do a lot more of the work on a chair or couch for your classroom. It’s very comfortable, and it kept 40+ bottles out of the trash. We are continuing to save bottles to make another piece of furniture, but we haven’t yet.

I enjoyed visiting your blog. I thought about my favorite day. Good job!

Mrs. Krebs