Krebs' Class Blogs

Constructing, creating, communicating, collaborating, and thinking critically in grade 5.

Give Me Liberty: The Story of the Declaration of Independence

| 3 Comments

Eighth graders read the book Give Me Liberty: The Story of the Declaration of Independence in jigsaw fashion. Give Me Liberty by Russell FreedmanThat is, each pair or triad read one chapter. They were responsible for reading it well and understanding it. Then each group presented their chapter to the whole class. I’m curious if you have used this method, and if you have had success with it. But first, here, for your viewing pleasure, are the chapter summaries.

Chapter 1: “The Night the Revolution Began: The Boston Tea Party” by Shaina, Abby, and Kim

Chapter 2 “A New World” by Becca and Nicole

Chapter 3 “If This Be Treason” by Lucas and Aaron

Chapter 4 “Intolerable Acts” by Crystal, Brittany, and Carli

Chapter 5 “The Shot Heard ‘Round the World” by Ryan and Morgan

Chapter 6“The Whites of Their Eyes” by Ashley and Carter

Chapter 7 “Common Sense” by Molly and Leah

Chapter 8 “Declaring Independence” by Jarod, Clayton, and Matthew

Chapter 9 “Your Rights and Mine” by Allie and Melissa

Do your students read books or other materials in jigsaw fashion?

Any suggestions to help make the learning and sharing a success?

In addition, my students and I would love to hear what you think of the end projects they did. Thank you in advance!

Author: Denise Krebs

I'm the chief learner in life's adventure.

3 Comments

1. Great job, Mrs. Krebs & 8th graders! I love this idea. Will share with the teachers at my school.

• Thanks, Ms. Satta, we appreciate your comment. Thanks for visiting. Maybe your students will be reading Give Me Liberty, too, and will be able to get some mileage out of our work.

2. Hi I’m one of your students for commenting on for the blog challenge. I just want to thank you for doing this. My name is Gillian and I love reading! (by the way this book looks good) I haven’t done a blog before, but I am looking forward to it. Again thanks for commenting!